Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gutless

Rand Paul, Kentucky's Republican Nominee for Senator, met with some Christian Home Schoolers the other day, and punted a tough question:

QUESTION: ...and also, how old is the world?

PAUL: I forgot to say I was only taking easy questions... I’m gonna have to pass on the age of the earth. I think I’m just gonna have to pass on that one.

Pass? What for? Were you afraid of what the Home Schoolers would do if you confessed to a belief in science, or did you know the rest of us would laugh and point if professed faith in the young earth?  In either case, what a poor showing for a Republican who wishes to be Senator. No principles, no courage.

Aside: I'm starting to think that I wouldn't ever vote for someone who thinks the universe is just 6000 years old. To hold such a belief is not an confession of faith, but of obstinacy. There's simply too much evidence for the old universe. If you're capable of ignoring it all, and clinging to your cherished dogma despite every possible proof to the contrary I don't think you're the sort of person who should have a high office. Too often top ranking politicians are asked to learn something new, to accept fresh information, to rethink and reexamine cherished, childhood notions. If Randy Paul can't do that, as a belief in the young universe may indicate, he might not be smart enough to serve as Senator.


Search for more information about [topic] at 4torah.com.

No comments: