Thursday, May 12, 2005

Quote of the Day

ARTHUR
The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held Excalibur aloft from the bosom of the water to signify by Divine Providence ... that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur ... That is why I am your king!

DENNIS
Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords ... that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

ARTHUR

Be quiet!

DENNIS

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some Watery Tart threw a sword at you!

ARTHUR
Shut up!

DENNIS
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

The point? Nothing but a rebuke for RenReb and MoChassid, and anyone else who thinks that opening a shteeble is a basis for a Rebba to declare himself Supreme and Ultimate Ruler of the Neighborhood.

(Note: The original post conflated shteebles with shuls. These are two different types of institutions, and the post has been changed to reflect that. )